On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 6:04:21 PM UTC-6, Dave Vehrs wrote:

> Unfortunately I thought it might be an issue that was fixed in an update
> so I updated my git copy and installed it.  Now I get a whole different set
> of errors.
>
> Starting with decoder.xml not being copied into the installation directory
> and followed by ossec-logtest resulting in reports like:
> 2016/05/24 17:47:42 ossec-analysisd(2102): ERROR: Duplicated decoder with
> prematch: 'pam-ruser'.
>
> And if I fix that one (because one of the duplicates should really be
> named pam-rhost rather than pam-ruser) it goes on to complain about other
> duplicates.
>
> So something changed in the update and it didn't update all the files.
>
> I'm looking into it and hopefully will soon get to a point I can test your
> idea.

OK, I've got the update to OSSEC 2.9 working and I figured out what you
meant by the lacking prematch tag in the last decoder in
kernel-iptables_apparmor_decoders.xml.  It was the decoder for USB!  Now I
haven't quite figured out what prematch statement to add to it yet but if I
comment out that decoder entirely then mine works from local_decoders.xml.

And I think I'm beginning to understand the basics of how these decoders
should go together and how interdependent they are.   In the future when I
run into a similar issue I will know to look beyond whatever little snippet
I have written.

Thanks!

Dave