From: g...@novadsp.com [mailto:g...@novadsp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:32 PM
To: Kervin Pierre
Cc: otlkcon-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: development environment - RE: [otlkcon-devel] Status?

K, seen these? http://www.codeplex.com/OutlookMAPISamples

Kervin Pierre wrote:
You won't need Exchange, so that should help simplify the environment.  You
won't need to inspect packets either.  You will need to inspect assembly.  Are
you familiar with MAPI internals at all?  Or IDA Pro and Assembly Language?

I really only ever used a CalDAV server for testing.  We can use Bedework (
http://bedework.com/ ) for this.

If you plan on working on migrating the datalayer to C#, then you won't need a
server at all.  All the testing can be done locally.

If you plan to work on shared folders support then you will need IDA Pro and
lots, and lots of patience :)

Unfortunately, there isn't much documentation.  But I will be happy to answer
any questions you may have.

 The role of the datalayer is to save MAPI data.  This is what saves
appointments and messages to the disk.  It is only used by a very small number
of interfaces.  Actually IMAPIProp
(http://otlkcon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/otlkcon/trunk/otlkcon/opncon/O_IProp.cpp?view=markup
 ) and IMAPITable being the biggest consumers.  Currently, it uses an SQLite
database.  We should move this to SQL Server Compact for better locking,
application transaction model and more support for platform database
abstraction features.

Again, feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like.  I will try to clarify
things as best as I can.

Best regards,
Kervin