My $0.02:

I don't think this approach (unique ID numbers/families/subfamilies
for capabilities) is a good approach.  This means for each new
configuration, a new ID needs to be registered, OWFS needs to be
patched to support, etc.  As you suggested, this process would only be
used on devices/configurations "generally available".

I think that there's a cleaner, easier, more capable method:  Have the
device identify itself.  I don't think it would take much...just have
a chip have a "well-known" address that OWFS does a read on to
describe what data types are available, where they are, and what to
call them.  Perhaps this can even be in a form similar to what OWFS
currently uses in its code...

This way, there is only one family code, and OWFS handles it the same,
and yet supports essentially infinite device configurations.  This
even means that devices electrically identical can have different
values assigned.  Instead of having "volts.A, volts.B", etc, it could
actually be "temperature, batteryVolts", etc.  And a second identical
chip could be configured with completely different names for the
inputs/features available.  All this without having to modify OWFS for
each new configuration.

I think the most serious implication is for those designers
experimenting with chips, or doing very custom / not publicly
available configurations.  In the case suggested in this thread,
they'd need to maintain their own patch against OWFS, for some
unregistered device ID range that they've selected.  Each time they
want to upgrade OWFS, they need to make sure their own personal patch
applies, or make mods to it, etc.

--Jim