Ok, this is truly bizarre.

I narrowed it down to the inclusion of a statement that does will cause
ow.init to fail as described, even when the code is not run. The
offensive statements were the creation of strings for sqlite queries,
such as :

querylist.append('insert into inputs values(\'' + interface['id'] +
'\',\'' + interface['interface'] + '\')')

Now, again, this code does not even execute and it causes ow.init fail.
The code executes properly when I disable the section of code with
ow.init in it, and if I replace the append line with:

print('insert into inputs values(\'' + interface['id'] + '\',\'' +
interface['interface'] + '\')')

I get a nice print as expected. I've also tried this with double quotes
rather than escaping the single quotes. Same result.

Here's the really interesting part. Each time I get ow fail, I have to
reboot to get to a working state. From that working state, if I run the
above print statement with the owfs functions disabled, it works fine.
If I then run the owfs functions directly (not with the script
containing the print statements), they fail.

Pass/fail detail:

OK:
print(interface['id'])
print('insert into inputs values(\' stuff \')')

NOT OK:
print('insert into inputs values(\'' + interface['id'] + '\')')

Once again - these functions do NOT execute but cause owpython read
fail. How on earth is this possible?

Thanks,
Colin