This error is entirely on the owserver side... owpython and the friends seem
not to be responsible.

> pyownet.protocol.OwnetError

exceptions are raised when the remote owserver answers with an error code, in
this case -5, that according to

owserver --help=error

is

  5. legacy - IO error

you shoud inspect the owserver code to find out.

Stefano