I would avoid calls like

OwnetProxy(host).read(prop).strip()

you should reuse the proxy object between calls:

__init__(self, ....)
    self.proxy = OwnetProxy(host)

def method(self, ...)
    self.proxy.read(prop).strip()

There is a cost in creating the proxy object, but no significant resource is
associated with storing this object. I'm not 100% sure, but my code should be
thread safe, so you can store a single proxy object for each owserver you
query, and share it among different threads.

Stefano

On 28 Mar 2014, at 22:09, Colin Reese <colin.re...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> attribution when I get a minute. Let me know what you think.
>
> https://github.com/iinnovations/iicontrollibs/blob/master/cupid/owfslib.py
>
> Colin
>

> On 3/28/2014 10:57, Stefano Miccoli wrote:
>> Is there a reason for using ow (which is a SWIG binding of the owlib C
>> API) and not ownet (which is a pure python implementation of the ownet
>> protocol)?
>>
>> If you do not have to access the bus master directly from python but you
>> have an owserver running, I would suggest using instead ownet, or even
>> better (shameless self promotion) my own pyownet.
>>
>> pyownet is on pypi, so to install it you can just
>>
>> # pip install pyownet
>>
>> or if you prefer the source you can get it from
>>
>> https://github.com/miccoli/pyownet/releases/latest
>>
>> and run
>>
>> # python setup.py install
>>
>> If you have an owserver running on localhost minimal instructions are

>>  ...     print i
>>  /26.64A340010000/
>>  /26.2BA640010000/
>>  /01.984087150000/
>>  '     20.6562'
>>>>>

>> The proxy object acts as (you guess) a proxy for the owserver, with
>> methods that implement the following ownet messages:
>>
>> dir
>> ping
>> present
>> read
>> write
>>
>> Docs are still to be written but

>> is a good starting point.
>>
>> Stefano
>>

>> On 28 Mar 2014, at 16:38, Colin Reese <colin.re...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:colin.re...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hell all,
>>>
>>> I've run into an interesting error that results in sensors disappearing
>>> altogether, resulting in the error:
>>>
>>> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ow/__init__.py", line 271, in
>>> __init__
>>>    self.useCache( self._useCache )
>>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ow/__init__.py", line 417, in
>>> useCache
>>>    for n in owfs_get( self._usePath ).split( ',' ) ] )
>>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ow/__init__.py", line 159, in
>>> _get
>>>    raise exUnknownSensor(path)
>>> ow.exUnknownSensor: '/'
>>>

>>> Sure enough, my 1Wire directory is empty except the bus. Killing owfs,
>>> owserver and owhttpd and attempting to restart using the same commands I
>>> do at startup yields:
>>>
>>> DEFAULT: owlib.c:(56) No valid 1-wire buses found
>>>
>>> After rebooting, everything is fine again, until I run the questionable
>>> script. So the first question is how to reinitialize after fail without
>>> rebooting. The next is how to not have it fail in the first place. I see
>>> mention here, but no solution:
>>> http://owfs-developers.1086194.n5.nabble.com/Bug-in-re-init-ing-Python-ow-module-td4442.html
>>>

>>> What I'm using in owpython is pretty basic, and trimming out other code

>>> ow.init('localhost:4304')