Hello,
You're receiving this mail because you're subscribed to one of the lists
that Codify manages for various people and organisations.

You will have noticed an interruption to delivery since Wednesday morning
last week. We send a heartbeat message through the list server to test
end-to-end delivery. These failed Wednesday morning last week (1 hr approx
after the keynote at teched). I am heavily involved in teched each year and
given my role as lead engineer, it was not possible to action a fix until
after the event as we obviously had other priorities. This could not be
avoided due to unfortunate timing.

The nature of the issue is that SMTPSVC and GFI MailEssentials are both
failing. The VM and databases + backups are fine so there are no lost
subscribers. We have been experiencing delivery/crashing/duplicate issues
with the latest version of GFI MailEssentials and our paid support has been
pretty ordinary so we made the call to take it out back and shoot it.
SMTPSVC has been pretty unmanageable in the context of a mailing list as a
lot of the critical information required for diagnoses of issues is locked
up in undocumented binary formats in alternate NTFS data streams.

Based on the above issues we've moved the lists over to MailMan on Postfix.
The new features we have as a result are:

   - Self-help web portal where you can change your own list settings. Start
   here: http://prdlxvm0001.codify.net/mailman/listinfo
   - Optional list digest
   - Proper moderation of posts (we're not using this but it is nice to
   have)
   - Moderation of membership to lists on a confirm/approval basis. Nice for
   some of the private ones we look after
   - Proper bounce processing where the server keeps a bounce score for each
   e-mail address and will automatically remove offending addresses if their
   bounce score is too high.
   - Built in archive
   - *TEXT BASED LOGS I CAN ACTUALLY READ WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!*

There are a few minor changes to acknowledgements and attachment handling
which we will work through over the next few days as we bed things down.

*Administration List*
The ausdotnetadmin list has been retired in favour of a new list called
ad...@lists.codify.com. This is the overarching administration list of all
of the lists we run (not just ausdotnet anymore) where we discuss such
things as software upgrades, policy and other random bits and pieces. Anyone
is free to join the list as long as you're constructive and polite.

*If you are an owner of one of the lists we manage you MUST join the admin
list to stay up to date with server moves and so on.*

If you have any questions, please send them to be directly at
da...@codify.com.

Happy posting!
David.

--