Tony Wright wrote:

I seem to get calls from large corporate like Telstra, Big Bank, Big Insurance suggesting they can do me a better deal etc. Then they ask you to verify your identity. I hate this, and refuse to do it.

I usually say, give me your extension and I will call the switch and get put through to you. The funny thing is, they usually complain about this, although it usually turns out that they are legitimate.

The scary thing is, anyone could call you with the same spiel and many people would gladly give up their details, including passwords!

But the important thing is to find out the phone number independently of the person calling, then call their switch and get put through – otherwise you have no idea who you are talking to.

T.

Every now and then various organisations that I have accounts with will ring me up trying to sell me some new 'fantastic' product, but before they can reveal said product they forcefully ask for the verification of personal details. I love revealing private details before I can hear a sales pitch.

Although I am somewhat security conscious (can hack gibsons via TCP139 BSOD), I'm generally just as lazy/vulnerable as most. Dependant on how I am feeling about the call I sometimes ask the caller to validate who they are before I hand over my precious details. Usually this request is met with absolute confusion by the other party which is further increased by my stipulation that they could be an organised gang of international digital thieves wanting information in order to transfer my far-superior Farmville assets to their flailing and baron agricultural endeavour. All they wanted to do was upgrade my credit card.

I once had someone from AMEX ask me to validate the phone number that they just called me on. What is the expected result? "Yes, you caught me out, I actually robbed Les, stole his phone and still have it turned on. I would have also enrolled him in your extended insurance plan had you not foiled me with your infallible test tripping me on my ability to work out caller ID."

Anyway, the point of this rant is to show that most organisations still are not well equiped when it comes to security, and Joe Citizen hasn't progressed much either. While we as a populace have mostly built up resistance to Nigerian Princes contacting you because it's easier to give you $10 million than to deal with the banks, your average scam has progressed perhaps at a better pace than user education or technological counter-measures. One scenario could be where they already obtained enough of your details to convince you of their identity, another could be where they have put in great efforts to make their spoof attempts to look legit sometimes even taking advantage of XSS to give you an almost 100% genuine experience.

I'm an IT professional and sometimes find it hard to tell the difference between the legit and the not so much. The hinderance of watching my details to be frustrating at the best of times especially given the lack of detail-request-protocols from businesses, so what hope is there for others?

The whole thing is just another 'pro' on my list for becoming Amish.
--
Les Hughes
l...@datarev.com.au