Hi Bec,

Email uses a store and forward approach, the computer wanting to send the
email stores the email until it can see another computer that it forwards
it to that is closer to the recipient, when it will forward the email to
the next computer, which will start the process over again.  This is
repeated until the mail gets through.

I am sure there is a way to look at the email headers to see the number of
these hops the mail has made to get from user A to user B.  But it could be
quite a few.

All you need is one of those computers to lose the email (should be a rare
occurrence), or go off line during the store phase and you have a lost or
delayed email.

With the number of hops that the email has to go through, there are going
to be multiple different OS’s and mail programs that will be touching the
email, each of which may have different processes.

This is a classic case of if any of them go wrong, the mail will not get
through!  99.9% plus of the time it works great, but you have to allow for
the possibility that one of the machines between user A and user B ate the
email.

If an email is important, you should copy it to a third party, so that you
can ask that third party, did you get it to prove that it was sent and/or
follow up the email with a direct call to the recipient to make sure it was
received, read and understood!

The answer to your question “Is it possible to achieve this by tampering
with the mail server settings or some other way?” I would be about 99% sure
it is, but if you brought in the forensic IT guys, I am sure that they
could find some form of audit trail to show the manipulation of the system.

Regards Greg