On 28 January 2016 at 09:17, Greg Keogh <gfke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks, I was thinking of moving some of my old static web sites to Azure,
> and I've noticed via links from others in here that they must doing this
> already. It looks you don't actually "deploy" a static web site to Azure
> (like an application), you just make a Blob container, upload the files and
> make the container access public. A quick test confirms this works okay, but
> there are some differences ... what's the equivalent of the old IIS log
> files to track usage? And because it's not your own IIS, what's replaces
> host headers so that someone going to www.mysite.com.au thinks they're at my
> domain but in reality they're looking something like this:
>
> https://myaccount.blob.core.windows.net/web-mysite-com-au/index.htm
>
> You want to make visitors feel like they're at your domain, not some weird
> Azure blob url.

For those concerned about cost, GitHub Pages is a dead simple
alternative for public sites.

  https://pages.github.com

They host static content, so it is suitable for:
- completely static sites
- static sites that are generated offline (e.g. from codegen at home)
- dynamic sites where the dynamic content is retrieved by client-side
  script from elsewhere (e.g. from a web service on Azure)

Your site will be files-in-directories. There is nothing simpler.

Deploy like this:

  git push

...or use your favourite git GUI.

They support CNAMEs. (I have not personally added any CNAMEs, but I
expect that it works as advertised.)

You don't need to know how to use GitHub. You only need an account.

They have no hard limits but do take down unfair bandwidth hogs,
naturally.

--
Thomas Koster