  From: Justine Caines
  To: OzMid List
  Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 8:42 PM
  Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Fund rebates

    Grrrrrrrrrrr too.

    This is totally unacceptable and bloody outrageous - how can we change
this???!!

    Kristin

    Naturopath & CBE

  Dear Kristin and all

  You can:-))

  Join MC 'cause we make representations like this all the time.  In fact I
will raising this issue with the Shadow Hlth Mins in a couple of weeks.
  Write letters to your local/state papers asking why the total lack of
competition and care that is not based on sound health outcomes etc etc

  Inform all your CBE clients that PHI (Priv Hlth Ins) is totally
discriminatory and does not allow choice (ie no midwifery care).  It will fund
joggers and aromatheraphy and yet the most important decision for a couple they
are forced to use a priv obs at a priv hosp and by that very fact significantly
increase their chance of unnecessary surgery and resultant morbidity.

  Support anyone who has PHI who wants a mid choice to approach their fund and
request parity for maternity care (ie same costs covered for M/w's as Obs).
When as they no doubt will say no.  Take it further to the Private Health
Insurance Ombudsman

  His details are Mr John Powlay and this is from their site www.phio.org.au

  You can raise a complaint with us by phone, email, fax or letter.

  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Private Health Insurance Ombudsman
   Level 7, 362 Kent Street
   SYDNEY NSW 2000
   Complaints Hotline:1800 640 695

  Telephone: (02) 8235 8777
   Facsimile: (02) 8235 8778

  Points to make (which I know you already know!!)

  *There are more babies born each year than any other health procedure.

  *In private health insurance there is absolutely no competition, it is
totally medically dominated.

  *It is also an area that is crippling health funds (so much so that smaller
funds actually tell you which Obstetrician you can see as they can only afford
some).

  *Some  funds are looking at providing a midwifery benefit (as they recognise
the huge cost saving) but where is the Government support??  Still no
assistance with insurance.

  With insurance all funds could offer choice (that would also double as a HUGE
cost saver).  Importantly it would also make PHI a viable option for rural
consumers (currently as most rural areas do not have private Obs or even Obs
there is no point joining up).  This shows what a giant waste of money PHI is
in its current form.

  Hope this helps