I don't know about over-diagnosis- my second baby (now 17) had reflux and it
made her first six months the worst of my life. I'd had a perfectly normal time
with my first baby, he was unsettled like most and woke at night until over 12
months but I considered that that was normal and looked forward to my second
child with pleasure and anticipation.

It was a nightmare- not hte birth, that was fine, but from about 3 weeks of age
she screamed constantly, vomitted even while attached to the breast, never
slept for more than 10 minutes at a time day or night- no one understood how
terrible it was, she was obviously in pain, poor mite; my toddler was seriously
shortchanged because how can you leave a child who is shrieking with pain to go
and play with the other one. Just things like the carpet (whole house was
carpeted, even the kitchen) being simply filthy from her constant vomiting,
which was not projectile but which managed to defeat the towels etc I had
strategically placed. The crying got me down dreadfully, this was nothing like
I'd experienced with my first child. There was just no way to soothe her. I
still have a colour chart I filled out at that time, showing her behaviour in
ten minute slots over a week to show the baby health sister- red for unsettled,
blue for feeding, green for sleeping etc. That sounds excessive but truly, I
felt I needed evidence for people to believe me; they said things like, Oh yes
it's difficult with two, in a patronising way as if it was just me not coping
with an unsettled baby when I knew it was more than that.

We tried all the normal things, positioning, Early childhood centre,
paediatrician, medication, nothing worked. Although she was fully breastfed she
had the most atrocious constipation, stools like pieces of chalk that had to be
drawn out when half expelled because she couldn't get it out. Finally I went to
a homeopathic dr and whatever he gave her (smelt like pure alcohol but I was
desperate enough to try anything!) fixed the pain overnight. She still vomitted
and still was very wakeful but without the constant crying and pain behaviour
it was so much easier to cope with.

I'd been told it would probably get better when she was standing up and it did,
over about a week all the vomitting etc stopped and life became about a
thousand times easier.

So I think that 'reflux' is very different from 'unsettled baby' but after what
I went through I'd be inclined to give any mother who said her baby had reflux
the benefit of the doubt, and the offer of a little help.

Monica