Not wishing to simplify this discussion but I found this somewhere, years ago
and it took my fancy, (don't know if it is a genuine quote, but if it is..) it
suggests that colic and its associated parental concerns have been with us for
a very long time!

"..Peine in the belly is a common disease of children....

The childe cannot rest but cryeth and fretteth itself....

Moreover the noyse and rumbling in the guttes, hither and thider,

declareth the childe to be greved, with wynde in the belly, and

colyke......."

Thomas Phaire's "Boke of Chyldren", 1545

Cheers

Alesa