G'day Megan,

Nothing non-scientific about your therapy. Breast milk contains an antibiotic called "Immunoglobin A" that is a good supressor of the bacteria causing conjunctivitis (or other eye infection). There are not many scientific trials that show this (mainly because there isn't much money in proving the value of breast milk) but have a look at: http://ijms.sums.ac.ir/9812/pishva9812.html

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT The effect of topical application of human breast milk in prevention of neonatal conjunctivitis was determined. Five hundred and sixty-five newborns were randomized into two groups, the first group consisting of 327 newborns, received topical breast milk prior to each breast feed for the first ten days of life. The second group of 238 babies received no treatment and served as control. Conjunctivitis appeared in 9.1% of babies in group 1 and 25.6% of newborns in the control group (p < 0.00001). The most common microbial cause of conjunctivitis in both groups was coagulase positive Staphylococcus. Regarding the predominance of environmental micro-organisms as etiology of conjunctivitis in newborns and anti- inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of human milk, topical application of breast milk as a prophylactic measure in neonatal conjunctivitis is recommended.
Cheers,

David

PS. I copied this to you as hardly any of my posts get through to ozmid these days. Perhaps you could repost my message on ozmid.

David Vernon
Editor and Writer
GPO Box 2314
Canberra ACT 2601 Australia