Ah Pinky, then you may not have heard Janet Hall say babies need to be left
to cry for 20 minutes and parents need to be tough ;) Here's the transcript
for those who missed it, the video might be on their site later:

By Ben McCormack

Sleep deprivation can test the most joyful of new parents - we talked to the
experts about the best ways ensure everyone gets some sleep.

At 3am Casey Peters is waking to her nightly nightmare.

Her baby Miller refuses to sleep for more than a few hours at a time and
like many new parents it has left Casey sleep deprived.

"It's very draining - exhausting - find yourself staring at the brick wall
sometimes," she said.

A recent survey has found new parents lose an average of 500 hours of sleep
in a year.

Sleepless mum Donna says she believes it.

"I don't think you're really aware of it until you're in that position in
the middle of the night and you're looking at your baby thinking of all the
things I have to do tomorrow - how am I going to get through that with only
a couple of hours sleep."

"We've tried putting him in a cot beside the bed - we've tried having both
boys go down at the same time - we've tried lots of different things," she
said.

Author Pinky McKay has been helping parents rest easier for years.

Pinky is a mother of five, a lactation consultant, infant massage instructor
and author of several parenting books including Sleeping Like a Baby.

She says you should start by giving your baby some "womb service" and keep
the room your baby sleeps in warm and comforting.

"Know your baby's cues. Know the tired signs - when is a baby sleepy and
gets that glassy look in its eyes - it loses interest. That's the window of
opportunity to take that baby to bed," she said.

Pinky says you should develop bedtime rituals like:

# A baby massage before sleep - a Miami University study has found that
babies massaged for 15 minutes a night were falling asleep more easily after
a month of their new routine.
# A relaxing bath
# Play lullabies or soothing music
# Breastfeed to sleep if you can

Other tips from Pinky

# Cut out caffeine if you are breastfeeding - it may be keeping your baby
awake.
# Teach your baby night from day, keep lively chatting and bright light for
daytime and lower the lights and use softer tones at night.
# Give baby some "mum" in his or her cot by slipping an unwashed t-shirt
over the cot mattress. It will hold your scent and comfort baby.
# Try a top-up feed just before bed.

Psychologist and author of How You Can Be Boss Of Bedtime Dr Janet Hall says
parents need to let their baby cry so they don't learn bad habits.

"The joys of parenting far outweigh sleep deprivation at the end of the day.
I recommend the twenty minute rule. Don't go in until twenty minutes have
passed."

"Parents do have to be tough - tough with themselves. Don't think you have
to be super-parent who has to be there at every beckon and call of your baby
- learn that if you don't pay up every time, they'll respect you for it," Dr
Hall said.

Pinky doesn't agree.

"There's more and more evidence that the stress hormones that are triggered
when a baby is left to cry it out alter the stress regulation mechanism in
the baby's brain."