Illegal or simply not commonly practiced? I was told when I first moved to
Singapore 10 years ago that homebirth was illegal. The reality was that it was
just never seen and there were no midwives so no support for women who wanted
to have a homebirth. That situation has now changed as more women are now aware
that homebirth is an option. My understanding is that there is no country where
homebirth is illegal. Practicing midwifery without a licence, or without
insurance, can certainly be legally managed, but how would the authorities ever
monitor the women having homebirths? Think of those women who have their babies
at home unintended.

One of our students is based in Dubai - Patty Ghaly. She is studying as a doula
and may have more information on the options available in Dubai. If you would
like her contact details Debbie, please contact me offlist and I can pass them
on.

Nikki Macfarlane
Childbirth International
[EMAIL PROTECTED]