So this would just be a DNS Alias?

From: ozmoss-boun...@ozmoss.com [mailto:ozmoss-boun...@ozmoss.com] On
Behalf Of Jason Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, 1 June 2011 12:30 PM
To: ozMOSS
Subject: RE: moving dbs

A while ago we had this situation of moving to another server. We ended up
using a more simple approach and just created a SQL Server database alias
using the old server as the alia name and the new server as the server
name. Since then we install SharePoint using a database alias so we never
have to deal with this again.