Same here, done this before.
Switch off your SharePoint server, detach DBs, move them to the new server
and attach them, fix up account security on new SQL Server, attach databases
and create a SQL client alias on your SharePoint server. It can take a few
hours, depends how big your DB files are and how long it takes to copy them
all to the new server, ask for an entire system outage for a few hours as
you work through this.
Yes it renders the old SQL Server inaccessible from your SharePoint server,
which might be fine in *most* cases.
You could maybe try creating yet another new SQL Alias to your old server to
make it accessible, which will be messy and confuse the hell out of anyone,
and could potentially lead to hilarious consequences :)

Sezai.

<<image001.gif>>