just make the stapled feature on the Web scope, and use code in the feature
activated to make sure the Site scoped feature is activated.
So everytime someone creates a subweb of your template, the web feature
activates and the code then forces activation on the site collection
feature.

Ishai Sagi
Solution Architect and Director
Microsoft SharePoint MVP, MCTS
Extelligent Design
SharePoint Consulting, Training and Products
Mobile: 04-88-789786
Web: www.extelligentdesign.com
Email: sa...@extelligentdesign.com
Blog: www.sharepoint-tips.com