It also doesn't add the fill-in choice to the drop down - ie. the string
entered does not become avail as a choice for future edits.

If I did have to do it, I would use the SP Services library, which as a pretty
simple js function that allows u to add a link to open a lookup columns source
list and add an entry, then refreshes the values in the drop down dynamically.

The Kwiz solution ishai suggested would work too, but its always difficult to
get budget for these little add-ins to SP

Sent from my iPad