Greg Keogh wrote:

> Folks, we’ve had requests for our SL4 app to generate Word, Excel and
> PowerPoint files. Security restrictions normally prevent this and
> there are problems with dependencies on the client. At the moment as a
> workaround we simply paste XML and text into the clipboard and the
> user then pastes it into Excel. We noticed that no other competitive
> SL apps generate Office documents, so I presume they have given up
> trying to overcome the security sandboxing like we did.
>
> However, we’ve had fresh requests so I thought I’d mention the topic
> in here in case there are new products and techniques that I’m not
> aware of. I think if our App is installed as a trusted out-of-browser
> app then it do what we want, but we think it’s unlikely that anyone
> will do that, and we haven’t tried it anyway.
>
> Perhaps we could generate the documents on the server side, place them
> in a public URL and give the SL user a hyperlink to them. Has anyone
> tried this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Greg

Heya Greg,

While I am not sure of specific issues to do with Silverlight, in
generating excel documents you could:

- generate a CSV
- there are plenty of free 3rd party .Net components for creating excel
documents without reliance on other external things. This may overcome
any dependency/security issues by writing a valid binary/xml file directly.
- aspose have a decent excel component, but they are pricey. (Microway
do a pretty good deal $$$)

All the above 3 options would work with a server side solution too.

While not recommended by microsoft, Excel Automation using a singleton
pattern could be used, but there are a few issues that may arise (or may
not) dependent on what you are trying to do.

--
Les Hughes
l...@datarev.com.au