Hi,

It has been six months since this P5EE list was started.
Of all that interest that was generated, there is one
serious candidate code base for the P5EE - P5EEx::Blue.

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/organization.html
   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/activity.html

Now I want to ratify P5EEx::Blue as the P5EE code base.
Then I want to organize those who wish to contribute so
that we can get this framework fleshed out and on to
Release 1.0.

In preparation for a vote, I am requesting input from
*everyone* on this list who engages in web application
development or anything approximating "enterprise"
development.

Here are the questions:

 1. Do you know enough about P5EEx::Blue to vote for it
    to become the P5EE code base? If not, what more do
    you need to know? What are the attributes of a code
    base that would cause you to vote for it to be the
    P5EE code base?

 2. If a P5EE code base exists, will you use it?
    What would it need to do for you in order for you to
    use it?

 * I am assuming that 99% of the people on this list would
   like to see the vision of P5EE become a reality.
 * And even if you are still skeptical that it will really
   happen, I assume that you are supportive of those trying
   to make it happen.

P5EEx::Blue is not ready to be called P5EE-1.0.
However, it has proven itself as a viable framework
which can be enhanced and extended in many ways to
achieve a wide variety of goals.
I believe it is ready to be called P5EE-0.1.

So far I have proven to myself that it

  * supports mod_perl and CGI, and could support any other
    runtime context I can imagine
  * supports every platform Perl runs on, in every configuration
    I could think of (including unprivileged web hosting
    accounts at ISP's)
  * separates user interface logic (templates and widgets),
    business logic (entity widgets), and data access
    (repositories)
  * supports distributed Entity Widgets through a variety of
    schemes, either by value or by reference
  * ... the list goes on, but I will explain more in
    response to the responses to this mail ...

I look forward to your responses.

Stephen