On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Richard Dice wrote:

Dave,

I think it does an ok job, but that's not really it's goal. I also don't think this is super important. You pick a particular DBMS because you think it's the right tool for the job. Only in a few rare cases (apps written for wide distribution) is there any reason to consider portability across DBMS backends.

Good point.

From a framework author's point of view, the framework should be able to work with whatever database the app developer deems to be the correct one for their situation. (I believe this is just the logical extension to what you were saying.)

Yep, pretty much. So-called "database independence" is something sought our by people who don't know much about databases, IMO. If you're just treating your SQL DBMS like a filesystem or "object store", you're missing out on all the power the DBMS can provide if you actually use it properly.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg.