On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Perrin Harkins wrote:

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:13 -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
I've never written an app for a client that started on one backend and
moved to another.

I have. I helped move an app from MySQL to Oracle once. It took a lot of work to get rid of mysql-isms, but the DBI code itself hardly changed at all. I would agree with the earlier poster that the level of abstraction DBI provides is really helpful when this sort of thing comes along. I suspect Pear::DB is fine for this too.

I think the consistency of DB is helpful even if you never move an app from one DBMS to another. Chances are you'll still end up using more than one in a career, and being able to connect and send queries with the same API is great. What I don't think is attempting to mask _all_ the differences (particularly in SQL itself) between various DBMS backends.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg.