Thanks, David, for the reply.

1. The warm reset in this instance was no help; it wouldn't break the loop. The
hard reset was the only alternative (except for the lucky break I described.)

2. I understand what the OS designers are up against, since
I've "been there and done that". I'm an old guy. I've been programming since
the mid-1960s, including plug-board IBMs, room-sized 1401s and B6600s, the
earliest single-board wire-wrap microcomputers, etc. I've written programs of
every kind, in every kind of language, from front panel toggles, mainframe and
microcomputer assembler languages, to web scripting.
As a computer science professor years ago, I was strict about initializing
variables, even when using a langage that was supposed to initialize them
automatically. This experience would've been a great example of how bad
unitialized variables can be!

About hard resets-- I don't worry about data loss, but a hard reset situation
severely slows the development process-- especially considering the time it
takes to find the cause of the reset loop.

I appreciate the time you took to read my message and reply.
I posted it mainly to add to the general pool of experience
on reset loops, in hope that it might help someone else avoid
a similar problem.

with kind regards,
--Sid   2010may27(11:51)-sls