I am using an on-board AC97 sound card.

I found that there was an updated driver for the sound card on Windows Update
and I have downloaded that and installed it.  Somehow this seems to have put
everything back to how it should be, although I can't work out why as there
seems to be no software setting which would allow me to switch between mono and
stereo.

At least it's working properly again now.

Thanks,

Caroline.