I'm not familiar with the Sony series you mentioned, but what kind of
MP3 player are you looking for?  Are you looking for a compact flash
based MP3 player that has maybe 1GB or 2GM of storage, or are you
looking for a hard drive based player that has 20GB, 40GB or more of
storage?

With the compact flash based player you have several choices.  The one
that I'm familiar with is the Nomad MuVo from Creative.  Unfortunately,
Creative doesn't distribute it anymore, but you might find one on the
web somewhere.  It doesn't have a display and just a few buttons to
adjust the volumen and volume and skip from song to song.  There are a
few other similar options on the market, like the iPod Shuffle.  The
nice thing about the MuVo that I have is that it doesn't come with any
software, it's just a UMS device on your computer and you can use
Windows Explorer to move MP3's over to it.  It also plays WMA and DRM
files, so you can use it with Audible and Overdrive.

In the area of a harddrive based MP3 player, I recently just got myself
an iRiver H10 20GB MP3 player and I loaded the Rockbox firmware on it.
You may need some patience and sighted help to get this working, but if
you do, you end up with a device that has spoken menus and even spoken
song titles, although it doesn't have TTS built into it.  You can still
get the iRiver H10 on line, in a 5GB, 6GB and 20GB version.  I got mine
recently from woot.com for $99.

Sorry I don't have information on any newer players, but I'm just
sharing my personal experience and remember, these are just my
opinions.  If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Dan Murphy wrote:
> Hi all.  I have recently been tempted to look into some kind of mp3 player
> that is evenminimally usable.
> A friend of mine recently purchased a Sony NWE series unit and it's very
> nice to look at but the file management software that comes with it
> doesn't get along well at all with Jaws 5.10.
> As I am very new to all this I haven't paid much attention to all the
> messages on here about the various players and their levels of usability
> for blind people, so I need to do some catching up.  I'm not interested in
> the apple product line since I understand their music format is totally
> proprietary, and I would mostly be using it to listen to my own stuff that
> I have recorded.  I also don't need something with a radio built in since
> I own several AM/FM radios that work fine with headphones and can be used
> for that purpose.
> also I wouldn't mind just being able to forward and rewind through the
> songs, because I really don't want to have to spend a lot of money, and
> anyway, I would just have them all arranged in one folder.
> I quite liked the look of the Sony, it was very nice and small, and the
> buttons seemed accessible enough, but I was mostly trying to see if I
> could get the software to work even slightly with Jaws, and so I really
> didn't learn too much about the player itself.
> any suggestions, comments, pointers are welcome.
> thanks in advance.
>
> Dan Murphy
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> AIM:mweeby2000