-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Beth Hatch
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 9:33 PM
To: pc-audio@pc-audio.org
Subject: Splitting Files with Cool Edit or Other Audio Program,
Urgent,Job Related

Hello everyone,

Please be forewarned, I'm a pc tech by training but I'm not an audio
expert, so please be gentle with me because I'm in dire need of your
expert assistance.<smile>

I am supposed to start a job this week where I need to record and then
listen to tech support calls from agents taking live calls for an
internet provider.  My job is to split these calls into separate files
and save them.
My boss is doing this visually by looking at the wave forms.  I'm
familiar with the concept of wave forms, and I can read the negative, 0
numbers, and the positive numbers with the JAWS cursor.  Unfortunately,
using Cool Edit and JAWS 8.0, the software they are using, I can't seem
to tell where one call begins and where the that call ends and then
where the next call begins.  I'm supposed to record the calls, separate
them, save each one into a separate file, rate it in terms of quality,
and send my feedback to the powers that be.

    Because I couldn't find the Cool Edit scripts, I downloaded Gold
wave
5.22 and the new JAWS scripts.  Gold wave looks more promising, I read
the manual and it appears that I should be able to do what I need to do,
but it is confusing because when I receive my file of calls, I don't
know ahead of time how long the calls are and where the silences are so
that I can save each call as a different file.

    Thanks for your patience, folks.  My questions are these:  Can I do
this with Cool Edit, that is what my colleagues are using?  Or should I
use something else like Gold wave, Audacity, or Sound Forge?  There are
other people with disabilities at the job site, but I'm the only blind
person.  I will try to use what works best if it isn't Cool Edit, but
I'll have to convince my boss that this would better.

If you'd rather not clutter up the list, please feel free to email me
privately at [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thank you in advance for any help
or suggestions!

Beth