What do you mean by "any file type?" I'm no expert, but I doubt you'll
find an MP3 player that will play absolutely any file type. I know you
can get MP3 players with large hard drives, in the order of 60GB and 8GB
drives, that will work with Rockbox. I suspect they'll support most file
types, but they won't work with some of the proprietary types, such as
DRM, WMA, whatever iTunes uses, .... Actually, I think you can play WMA
files with Rockbox now. You could double check the web site. It will
play FLAC for example. I haven't canvased all of the MP3 players on the
market, but I would suspect that off the shelf they aren't going to
support all of the open source formats. I'm also not sure you'll find an
MP3 player that will support both Apple's and Microsoft's proprietary
formats. If it supports the file types you're interested in, I suspect
Rockbox will be your best option.

Christopher