I too just use Windows Explorer to copy files to my Zen Stone, but to
answer your question as to why the Creative Lite Media software exists,
here are a few features it has besides just allowing you to copy files
to your player:
- determine the amount of charge on the Zen Stone's battery,
- rip files directly from a CD to your Zen Stone,
- determine the level of firmware on your Zen Stone,
- find and install updates to the firmware on your Zen Stone,
- format your Zen Stone and
- set a maximum volume on your Zen Stone.
I don't use these features often, and for the most part, they aren't
necessary to use the player, but it has these features, so I'll keep
pointing people to the URL where they can download this software and the
corresponding JFW scripts.

Christopher