OK, getting really fine and technical here. If you splice files together in
Sound Forge, and you hear a click, or you otherwise notice the point at
which you've joined the files, then there is something wrong with the .wav
files before you've even joined them. You'll need to use a program called
WavTrim to fix the two files before you join them. This way, it can look at
the ends of each file on either side, trim out any digital garbage, and
present you with cleaned-up files which you can then join. Sound Forge's
problem is that while splitting the files is fine, and the playback on
computer is seamless, when written to cd, the byte allocation data is off,
and only when you play back the audio cd will you then hear any clicks,
hesitations, or ticks, while the .wav files that still reside on your hard
drive play back flawlessly. It's worth it to learn this correctly, because
if you trade a concert to someone, and your cd to them has these mistracked
errors, and they don't fix them, and then they burn a copy for someone else,
more tracking errors occur. Their failure to check this problem results
possibly in double errors, and it can go downhill from there. The worst case
I've come across is where someone did heaven knows what while making the
cds, or five or six people ignored the problems, and actual seconds of audio
was lost, which of course couldn't be recovered. OK, I'll stop there, as it
might have got a bit nit-picky, but I appreciate the effort when someone
presents a well taken care of show, which flows seamlessly, like you're
right there in the concert.
Thanks a lot.
Matthew