Useful information and thoughts on the Olympus recorders there Tim, so thanks.

My interest in these recorders is as a relatively affordable portable recorder
for blind people doing audio journalism-type recordings for talking newspapers
and audio magazines.  There is sufficient voice guidance now to make this a
far more reliable and practical job than with much less accessible recorders.

the Plextor may come into it's own where a bit more dynamic range is needed
and some music of limited dynamic range could be recorded too with it.

That leaves us with recorders of the calibre of the Sony PMCD50 - hope I've
got it's model number right - for live music and high quality sound gathering.
While it's not really "accessible" we're told by Neal Ewers it is usable.

that would seem to me to be the main choices open to us just now.  Others
could add in the Edirol R09h and the new Zoom recorder and there are podcasts
kicking about covering these too.  Let's hope someone reviews the Olympus DM
series soon.

 Ray

Tim Noonan wrote:
Going from the functionality in the Olympus DS71, which has adjustable
recording levels, there are either 10, but probably 15  recording volume
settings, accessed by pressing the left and right arrows while in record
pause or record.  In addition, there are still the three microphone
sensitivity  settings on the side of the machine. The volume limiter (anti
clipping facility is disabled when recording is set to manual volume levels.

I haven't tested extensively, but while I think the voice capture of the
DS-71 is extraordinarily good, for full spectrum recording, there is a lot
more background hiss during silent passages and it seems somewhat limited
frequency response, than one would expect  for a wave recorder.

I deduce from the promotional material, that the DM-550 will be a reasonable
step up in actual recording quality, above and beyond the quality of the
DS-71.

That all said, for recording meetings and small conferences, the clarity of
voice recordings and memos is second to none on the DS71, and its fantastic
form-factor, in-built speaker and battery life.

I'm not convinced the DM-550's recording quality will equal the Plextalk
Pocket, and am certain it will be nowhere near the Zoom and Edirol units.

Disclaimer, this email is in part based on my direct experience and a few
educated guesses.

Tim