hmm strange, there is the ear remote jack, the headphone jack and a jack for external mike, the first and later one haven't tryed, just been using the internal mikes so far. what am wondering is how in the world if the recording level is set to manual, how to adjust it volume, etc. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Noonan" <t...@timnoonan.com.au>
To: "'PC Audio Discussion List'" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 21:48
Subject: RE: What is a good stereo mic for the DM-520

What isn't immediately apparent about the Dm-520 internal mics is that the
unit works a bit like a shot-gun.  Most of the sound is taken in from the
top end of the unit, not from the front or back sides of the machine.

So, if you are recording a person, you really want to point the end of the
unit towards their voice, not hold the unit vertically.

I haven't done major tests with external mics, and I don't know what the
real mic preamp noise is like on the machine.  I hope it is a lot better
than the audio quality on the DS-71 when external mics are used, as it was
below par in my view.

For the record, this machine isn't very downwards compatible with the mic
extension cord and remote switch that comes with the DS-50 and the DS-71. I
made a remote recording the other day, only to find it was blank. This was
with a monaural external mic. Wasn't very happy.

Regards
Tim

Tim Noonan
Director, Vocal Branding Australia
Creating products, brands and services that sound as great as they look and
feel!

Phone:   +61 419 779 669
Web:     www.vocalbranding.com.au/blog
Email:   t...@vocalbranding.com.au