I would check to see if the pauses are particular to the same books. If so, it's not likely to be the machine.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Grady" <tfgra...@verizon.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: Victor Reader Stream or Book Cents

Who told you that?  I think you should read the manual.
On Dec 26, 2009, at 9:12 PM, Terrilynne wrote:

I have a Victor, and I don't like it much. The only thing that keeps me using it is that I can download my own books, when I want them, and no library is telling me that I have too many or I need to send them back. I find many things about the Victor irritating. For example, I hate how slowly the machine goes through a list of NLS books. You can't just hit the button five times and be five books further up or down the list, you have to listen to it read every single number, with puases between. And, sometimes, it stops after a number and pauses for a few seconds before reading either the book title or moving onto the next number.

I am supposing that they used less than the best options for software.

TerriLynne