Hello Rob and list: Yes..that was most helpful in solving this "lame Encoder" mystery! I searched..and found that there are four occurrences of that "Lame encoder"..I remember someone saying on this list that, in order to make MP3 files, one _had_ to have the "Lame Encoder" in order to do this! There was nothing in the "programs" menu that indicated that I had it; nor did I see anything in "Add/Remove" programs, so I was somewhat mystified! I know I have recorded and played countless MP3 files..but how could this be if I didn't have the encoder? Guess it's all in knowing what the exact name is..and knowing exactly how to go about looking for it! Also..I thought this was the case concerning "Gold Wave (that you couldn't schedule it to record when you weren't going to be around)..I actually did download what is supposed to be a "trial version" of Gold Wave..but haven't done anything with it yet; I mainly had wanted to get Gold Wave so I would have more flexibility of changing bit and sample rate in files if I needed to (Total Recorder will do this)..but as I understand it, Gold Wave will give you more choices! Is this correct? Tom Kaufman