Hi listers, and thanks to Kevin for all of the insight there.  Well, I
found a USB MD player on Ebay and enquired about the possibility of
copying from player to PC, as the blurb about it only rferred to
recording and playback (the player in question is the Sony MZ-N510).
The person offering the item said that they thought there was
copyright protection which stopped you copying other people's discs to
the PC, but then contradicted this by saying that they thought it was
possible to copy discs which you had personally written (this might be
in order to get a sale or just through lack of certainty, but I'm
pretty sure that the player wouldn't be able to differentiate between
discs recorded on it and on other players).  The seller did also
inform me of necessary software for linking the player to the PC, and
if this is inaccessible then it poses a further problem in any case.
Does anyone know about copyright protection on MD players (whether it
exists, how it works, etc)?

As ATRAC is similar to MP3 I presume it will play on a PC without
problem (just as DAISY and other MP3-related formats do), but if USB
MD players are a problem in other areas I wonder what people might
suggest using.  As I previously mentioned, my need to use audio CDs
rather than data discs is fine in the short term, but rather expensive
if it continues over a long period (I record almost every day to some
degree and don't know when I'll be getting a new computer).  It was
suggested that I attach my Olympus digital recorder to the output
source, but I find that this brings out very poor quality results, and
I presume that using a DAISY recorder or similar would again require
the use of audio CDs.  As always, any help appreciated.

All the best, Danny