I don't know that they'd have software to add a sound driver to use the network to stream to it. I'd say it's probably for getting stuff from the computer or Internet, but you'd probably have to use their menus and the like to do it, sort of like what TV's are doing now where you can watch stuff from online, but you control it with the TV. ----- Original Message ----- From: "G. McFarlane" <g...@exponential.org.uk>
To: "PC-Audio" <Pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2010 12:40 PM
Subject: Amplifiers with network plug

Hi
I'm not sure if this is on topic or not.
I'm considering a new amplifier for Audio and home cinema. One of the connections into the amplifier is a hard wired network connection. The unit upscales video apparently (not a concern to me being blind), but is there any way this network connection can be accessible. I know the machine won't talk, but: 1. Am I likely to be able to stream video and audio from the net or my network PC? Or will it just work with audio? 2. Even if it doesn't speak, can I access one particular folder in my Network PC so that using the remote for the amplifier, I can go through the files in that folder even if I can't hear which is which. 3. Is there an;y other benefit for a blind person in having a network connection in an amplifier e.g. can I set my computer to stream and pick it up with the amplifier?
Thanks if anyone is able to supply an answer.
Gordon McFarlane