Well, IMHO you use bad subject lines at your own risk. Depending on
which mail client I use, I'll sometimes only use the subject line to
determine if I'm going to read the message or just delete it. Others on
the list have said the same thing and the description of the list is
pretty clear that using good subject lines and changing the subject line
when the thread changes is expected. If you want some help or you want a
question answered then it's in your best interest to make the subject
line as meaningful as possible.

I don't think the RAR example is a good one since I think the originator
was confused and didn't realize that the RAR file type indicated a
archive and not a compressed audio format. Maybe that subject line
should have been changed, but since the subsequent responses had to do
with which tools to use to unpack the RAR file, I'm not so sure that was
necessary, although I have to admit, I don't remember the subject line
anymore.

Besides, just because someone else chooses to use a poor subject line
doesn't mean that it's then OK for everyone else to do it! Instead of
perpetuating a mistake, you could set an example instead! :-)

Christopher (CJ)
chalt...@gmail.com