Thanks Adrian! This is very helpful. I will definitely check this out.
Thanks again.
Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrian Spratt" <adr...@adrianspratt.com>
To: "'PC Audio Discussion List'" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2012 9:08 PM
Subject: RE: Ripping Audio Cassettes

I recently transferred a slew of music and spoken word cassettes from  an
APH talking book cassette player with a wire-like cable with one-eighth-inch
jacks at each end and the microphone jack of my computer. APH's cassette
players were reasonably high quality. Initially there was some guesswork
involved in getting the cassette player volume right, but after that it went
smoothly.

I used the software application GoldWave to record and edit the files.
GoldWave is free for the first numerous uses, after which there is a price
tag of something like $30 or $40 US. The GoldWave manual is pretty good. If
your friend is still intimidated, there are good podcast tutorials, and
people on this list are eager to help solve specific problems.