Gary,

You are correct, it is a Coby Tuner.  Besides the antenna connection, the unit
received had a power supply that generated so much AM interference that it was
difficult to get an HD signal.  I found another
power supply to substitute and the problem was gone completely.  The tuner
itself is pretty good, though, and I am very happy with the audio performance.

I also have a Teac HD radio that does have a 75 ohm connector, and it has a
line out jack as well.  I am thinking that it might be worth trying to pick
another of those up and use it as a tuner.  I am certain that
we are discussing the same Sony tuner.  I would be willing to pay something
above list to get one, but not three times the list from a questionable seller.
 I should look around more, though.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On 25/07/2013, at 11:55 AM, Gary Schindler <garys5...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> Steve, usually the CBS and Clear channel stations have good CD quality audio
>> on HD 1 and 2 here in Pittsburgh. On KDKA HD 3 you get the CBs Radio Sports
>> programming which doesn't sound any better
than FM programming. I would guess that WCCO probably has the same setup.

>> There is another local broadcast company called Steel City Media that
>> broadcast on all 4 hd channels in Stereo. all of them sound like hd quality
>> but the fourth channel is much weaker on both stations, so if
we have windy days you have a lot of drop outs.

>> I concur with you, A M HD isn't good at all. during the day KDKA A M was
>> decent, but at night, the signal wasn't strong enough to hold it locked in.
>> WTAE was weak enough that it is impossible to listen to it
in the day time too.

>> Since the a m uses the ajacent channels you can forget night time DX
>> listening.
>>
>> I think you have a Coby from what you are describing, and I was tempted to
>> buy one but never did. Try looking for a Sony HD-100 tuner. that should have
>> a 75 ohm F connector that you want. I guess you
will have to find it on EBay.

>> I have a couple of Radiosoppy tabletop hd radios that you take the whip
>> antenna off the back of the radio and there is the F connector for a rooftop
>> antenna. they don't make the sets any more, so EBay
might be the place to find them too.