And the Lightning Dock connector is a far more functional connector than the Headphones socket is.

Actually the headphones socket used by Apple isn't universal at all, its been adapted by Apple to suit there needs.

If you look at an Apple Headphone socket for want of a better description you'll see it has extra terminals for the plug for example for one thing.

The Minijack you'll find in your standard walkman device will likely have 3 terminals, in your standard bedside radio 2 terminals - if its only mono - but on the IOS devices it contains 5 terminals and obviously the more terminals that are put on one of those plugs then the more flimbsy is the whole arrangement.

On 11/03/2016 1:26 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Oh dam. There is that too. I forgot about this since I'm not much of a
musicion. I'm more into sound stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of goshawk on
horseback
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:14 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 7 WILL dump the headphone socket |Daily Mail Online

exactly! the headphone socket was a lot more universal, as it could be used for
more than just headphones.
a good situation I can think off for example, is that there are now some very
good musical instrument apps available for the iPhone, which make life a lot
easier for blind musicians. with the problems, especially the delays associated
with bluetooth, and the dock/lightning port already being taken up with a music
keyboard, what is left to get audio from the iPhone in to an amp or mixer? the
good old headphone socket.

Simon