Rich,

The fact that you were using a 3.5 mm to XLR adapter suggests that there is
some difference in the way that the tip, ring and sleeve on the 3.5 mm jack are
wired up.  With the one that you could hear, the white noise would indicate
that the microphone is not producing sufficient gain for use with the mixer.

You should be able to pick up a microphone cable quite easily from E-bay.  Just
make sure that you are getting a 3 pin XLR.  Buying a cable from Zounds will
probably mean paying 3 times what it is worth.

Don't get a cable longer than 2 metres  otherwise it will get in your way and
become tangled.

The Audio Technica is a good microphone and, if you haven't already got one,
consider getting a desktop microphone stand.

To avoid popping, aim the microphone at the bridge of your nose or under your
chin.

On the subject of microphones generally,  the Behringer and other mixers expect
that you will use microphones that are of the appropriate quality.  You can not
expect to use your Plantronics headset or a $10  microphone which works with
your cassette recorder.  The manual for the mixer probably did not explain this
because it was assumed that you would be aware of the limitations.

Robert Nelson