All 3 files have audio right? because if they do and you didn't touch the recorder the whole time this suggests this somehow and this is news to me it automagically splits files. If that's the case peese out my friends I don't know. What I thought of though is that remember this is a multy channal and multi track recorder. So some how it could be that you armed the other XLRs without meaning too. But na from what you just said I guess it can split files after all.