Hello!

Stephan Sokolow has written on Saturday, 17 November, at 17:24:
>On 12-11-17 05:01 PM, Andrej N. Gritsenko wrote:

>> Exactly. Each file in ~/Templates will be added by Nautilus to the 'New'
>> submenu. I've implemented it such way pcmanfm will show only one file per
>> file type (i.e. only one LibreOffice text doc or only one JPEG file) and
>> it's why I do some filtering which caused the beforementioned effect.

>Do you have a clear plan for how the user will select the one to appear?
>(Hopefully, something less amateurish than how, in the 2000s, all the
>Windows users were sticking "!!" at the beginning of their torrents'
>README files to game the explorer.exe sorting algorithm)

The implementation allows creation of simple .desktop file which will
override any names and select one of them which will be used as template.
For example:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Link
URL=The Document.odt

>Also, have you given any thought to potential alternative
>implementations that could overcome that "one entry per type"
>limitation? (eg. Suppose I wanted multiple .txt templates and I wasn't
>using Vim+SnipMate for that)

The way I've implemented it removes duplicates but probably it would be
good to add a setting to select another behavior - remove duplicates by
basename, not by type. It will show all your LibreOffice documents from
your example in 'Create New' submenu though.

>>> Given that I've never seen a file manager other than Nautilus that
>>> supports parsing a ".hidden" file to hide non-dotfiles, I tend to blame
>>> GNOME developers' NIH syndrome whenever I see a non-hidden folder in my
>>> homedir getting regenerated but I don't actually expect to see such an
>>> impression confirmed in a standard.

>> GNOME ways are sometimes very out of common sense. That's why I prefer to
>> avoid GNOME ways sometimes. :)

>Agreed, though I'd definitely love it if ".hidden" started to get used
>outside Nautilus so I could have the option of hiding things I almost
>never visit and only in the terminal (like /proc and /sys) from my GTK+
>Open/Save dialogs and PCManFM. It'd make for a much cleaner experience.

>...not to mention allowing me to hide things like ~/espeak-data while I
>wait to see if devs are going to actually fix reported use-of-filesystem
>bugs.

    I would like to avoid such things very much. They may be changed by
GNOME people in any moment and if I want to follow any step of GNOME then
I would just use GNOME. Let follow standards (XDG specifications). If we
reimplement some bloated and dirty things we multiply the mess which they
made for own sake. The more we use Nautilus hacks the more we will behave
Nautilus-like, heavy and fat. I'm sorry. Let make it convenient but use
only standard means, OK?

    WBR, Andriy.