ah, now I know. it never happened to me, because I never used enough to make them visible. that's a nice example patch.

btw, in order to control the display of the individual elements I used -v in the definitions of the base struct (that gets taken by the array). that allows for individual control, and it should be the only example missing from your file.

Here's a patch to show what I mean. Even for a two-pixel drawing in a hidden subpatch, flashing happens when the visibility is toggled. So if you use any other patches with datastructures (or the same one twice as an abstraction) it will be noticeable, regardless of the drawing complexity.

Btw: I notice in test.pd that if leave the first abstraction open and then close test.pd, I get two errors, like:

error: .x9dd9e0: no such object
error: .x9cc8a0: no such object

(0.42-4, winxp sp3)

exactly same specs here. I also notice another thing: my draw area is in a gop, and the patch is to be used as a gop. so, when using a gop ind the 2nd degree, the setting for "hide object name and arguments" of that area doesn't get saved. (no problem with the level above)