John (JCO),
I hear you on TC's.  I've never been a big fan of them, but...
It's Gymnastics season and for the last 3 meets, I've dragged the camera
along.
The gym is dark.  The stands are a long way from the vault, bars, beam and
floor.
Even with the A135/1.8 and 800 Fuji film, things are tough to shoot.
The girls are moving, flying, twirling, spinning...
I've taken the 300mm along before, but I won't climb the bleachers with the
400!
(Last night was the PZ-1p, A135/1.8, monopod, 43 & 77 limiteds... a light
kit!)
As it is, the A1.4X-S and A2.0X-S give me some flexibility without weight.
More photos suffer from slow shutter speed than from using the TC.
So I think they have a place...
Regards,  Bob S.