GW,

"Believe me folks were ... " why should we? You don't seem to get the point
at all. All you're doing is trying to avoid it, by introducing one red
herring after another.

I was using Lumitars, probably before you'd even seen your first camera; on
35 mm camera bodies and on monorails too. I also had the best Carl Zeiss
Photomicrographic equipment money could buy. Both for transmission and
reflected light. I tested the first Nomarski interference contrast equipment
made by Zeiss (Oberkochen) in 1960 for Dr Möllring who was the head of that
section at the time. I know a little about microscopes, both optical and
electron. They were my tools for more than 50 years. So don't talk about
them as if you were an authority - unless you are. I spent many months over
a period of years at the Zeiss factory and had special components made for
me. But all this is unimportant.

You are still trying to slide away from the point, and that point is: if the
image fits the film there is no advantage in using a bigger piece. We are
not talking about magnification, only about image size. Magnification is
irrelevant, it can be anything, film grain size is irrelevant it will be the
same for any size of film, print magnification is also a red herring. It is
the image on the film we are talking about. Only that. Nothing else. I
repeat, you cannot improve an image by putting it in the middle of a piece
of film as big as a Wimbledon tennis court. An image an inch wide, enlarged
from 8 x 10 to any size you like, will be no better than an image an inch
wide enlarged from 35 mm to the same size. To talk about better 'tonality'
and the LF being 'sharper' than the other is ridiculous. The 35 mm image
will be better for several reasons. But lets leave that out for the moment;
it only gives you the opportunity to insert more 'red-herrings'.

I habitually made close to the limit of the resolution of visible light -
and beyond with UV - at magnifications in excess of 1200X. Did I put them on
8"x10", or 4"x5", or 6x7cm or on any of the other formats I had available? I
could have quite easily. No! I put them on 35 mm. Why? Because they fit! To
do anything else would have been really stupid - to be polite. But, I put
images of small objects taken at magnifications between 5X and 30X or so on
4" x 5" Why? Because they fit!

Don

PS: Sorry about the second paragraph above, but I'm trying to make a point.

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery
Updated: March 30, 2002