From: "Dr E D F Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[nonsense skipped]
> Mr Blakely,
>
> How can you connect (1) below, with (2)? By what logic?
> (1) All mathematics is counting - (2) things exist or they do not.

Binary mathematics.

> These two statements are not related and neither one supports nor refutes
> the other. Despite being unrelated they are meant to form the foundation,
> such as it is, for the next gem of wisdom:

Base two mathematics is existence or non existence. Probably the most
universal form of counting. It doesn't assume that you have 10 digits on
your hand. Step back. Stop being so myopic.

> You say (3) "Mathematics has therefore always existed." The above two
> disconnected statements have nothing to do with the third which is
patently
> untrue. And then:

That mathematics has always existed is classical thought beginning with
Plato and later finding much expression in the renaissance and continuing to
this day. As one writer put it: "Mathematics is the language of God, in
which the book of the universe is written. The better we understand that
language, the better we understand the world it describes."

Now, I am not appealing to God here, she would probably be angry with me for
drawing her into this discussion but the nuggets of philosophy to be gained
from classical thought regarding mathematics are:

    Mathematics may be viewed as a language.
    This language may be viewed as preexisting the universe.
    This language is what the universe is written in.
    Understanding this language leads to understanding the universe.

    From this point of view, mathematicians are essentially discovers and
translators, not primarily inventers.

Since this is classical thought and since I had assumed that you were a
mathematician (given all your yak, yak), I further assumed that the history
of mathematics and the classical philosophies that accompany it were taught
to you as they were to me. Clearly, I was wrong. It's clear that you were
unable to recognize this. The original concept (look back to the title) for
right or wrong is classical thought. My approach to mathematics is therefore
entirely appropriate to this discussion. It does not result in anything
different in the mathematics of today or tomorrow except for expressing why
we often study it for it's own sake.

Your view of the universe seems myopic to me. Step back, put on a new pair
of glasses and get a wider view of this universe. Add a little humility to
your life and recognize that there other valid views besides your own - and
some of them are very old.