In a message dated 1/21/2003 2:02:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> It doesn't matter if it is an evolving technology like computers and digital
> cameras, or a mature technology like automobiles and televisions,
> obsolescence is obsolescence. Manufacturers love evolving technology, as
> they can make products obsolete as fast as they want, and
> have a valid
> excuse to hide behind.
>
> William Robb

I think this is true and also not true -- i.e. true to an extent. Some technology
reaches a level that stabilizes (at least for a while) at that level. "Features" may
just be "bells & whistles" added on top of that technology. The features differ from
issue/version to issue/version, but the underlying technology is the same as used in
the previous issue/version.

Is the market driven by planned obsolescence? Sure. But not by all companies all the
time. The other thing it is also driven by is consumers. At some point people say hey,
I want something that I can rely on and that I will not have to upgrade and/or replace
every single year. That happens too. Quite often.

"Market cynicism," I think, should be tempered by a dash of faith in the overloaded,
put-upon, increasingly wary consumer.

Doe aka Marnie  But I am no economist.