However the pentax hood on my 100mm f2.8M [49mm] finally broke yesterday
[not bad after 20 years] and I can't think of a logical replacement for that
.....................any body any ideas ?

The old Takumar 100/4 lens hood is a nice metal 49mm. I have it on my M
100/4 macro. You may also be able to use the Takumar hood for the 135/3.5
given Pentax's tendency of designing lens hoods to be used with filters & a
polarizer, but I would check for vignetting first. They are both nice solid
metal screw-on hoods.

BUTCH

Each man had only one genuine vocation - to find the way to himself.

Hermann Hess (Damien)